What does this mean?

For young people with a disability or learning disability transition is a time of change. They will experience changes in their education, health and other services that they receive. They may need different services or find they are no longer eligible for the same services. They will also have new rights and responsibilities and be entitled to apply for and receive benefits in their own right

By the time a young  disability or learning disability reaches 18  they should have a transition plan. Transition planning usually  begins around the age of 14 and the young person, supported by the people who know them best, start thinking about options for college courses, employment and training , support and health needs, finance, housing leisure activities, friendships and relationships. For some young people this may include social care support to enable them to pursue their goals and live more independently if possible.

Transitions into adulthood

For any young person moving from school into the adult world can be exciting but heading "into the unknown" can also be worrying. For young people with disabilities this
can be even more challenging. They may need extra help to plan their future and the co-ordinated support of everyone around them working together.

What is available?


Adult Social Care

When a young person with a physical or learning disability, or with sight or hearing problems, becomes 18 and needs practical help they can ask us to look at their social care needs as an adult. In order to work out just what these needs are, we do need to carry out an assessment.  We will need to do this even if you have been receiving social care support from children's services.

What is an assessment?


This assessment is a thorough discussion with the young person and with parents or carers. This may also involve gathering information from other professionals who work with them and know their situation well.

How much will I pay for services?

You should be aware that some adult services may have to be paid for, but the actual amount you pay will depend on what services you receive. You may be able to get help with the costs and we will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help.  

Self Directed Support gives you more choice and control over the services you receive. This means that following a social care assessment you will be given a personal budget from us. You can choose to use it to arrange your own support and look after the money yourself, or you can ask the Council to hold the money and help you find the support you need.

 What is Self Directed Support?


MAPP ( Multi Agency Planning Pathway)

MAPP to bring together young people with complex needs, their families and the professionals working with them, to provide careful planning and co-ordination of services. They can work with young people up to the age of 25. If you are already supported by MAPP they will continue to work with you

If you do not need or are not eligible for support from Adult Social Care there are other agencies  and organisations who may be able offer advice and support.
The Transition Information Network aims to improve disabled young people's experience of transition to adulthood. Their website provides information, advice and guidance on a wide range of topics for disabled young people, parents/carers and professionals

Transition Information Network


How to get in touch

If you already receive services as a young person then please speak to your Social Worker. If not, and you are under 18 years contact the Multi Agency Planning and Support, Kaleidoscope, Lewisham Centre for Children and Young People, 32 Rushey Green. Phone: 020 7138 1100.

If you are 18 or over and you have no Social Worker, then the Adult Social Care Advice and Information Team should be your first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on 020 8314 7777.

Young girl's red shoes